Here’s how it all went down… A Birth Story.

April 16, 2013

Remember when I said I didn’t want to be induced? Yeah, well, I sorta changed my mind. Let’s rewind to Monday April 8th. I had my weekly OB appointment and my doctor informed me that I was still only 1 cm dilated and I would most likely see my due date come and go once again. For various reasons she strongly recommended induction, but obviously the choice was our own. She said I could come in on Wednesday morning and would have a baby by dinner time. How tempting is that!? I would leave the office, spend one more pregnant day with my boys, and then, BAM, have a baby the next day. I told her to put me on the books for the time being, but I wanted to talk it over with my husband first. I knew he would try to talk me out of it being one that does not like to meddle with nature. I knew he wanted that crazy “I’m-in-labor-story” as well. Here was his response:

What time?  Need to know how many hours I have to get this report done.  KIDDING! Very excited.  Cant wait!  I love you too.  xoxo

Whether his response was based on the fact that he couldn’t bear to spend one more day with a pregzilla wife or he was just super excited to meet his 3rd son, I didn’t care to ask. I was going to have a baby on Wednesday. Might not get that story I was looking for, but here is the bottom line – having a baby is the most exciting and amazing experience on earth no matter how they make their debut.

Here is a look at my last day of being pregnant:

1:30 am – I wake up to snoring in my ear and roll over to find my oldest son snuggled up behind me. While I would typically bring him back to his bed, I let him stay and enjoy a little more mommy-time before his world would be turned upside-down once again.

6:45 am – I wake up happy and ready to face the day. Ready to soak in every last ounce of pregnancy bliss – something I would not be able to appreciate if I was impatiently waiting to go into labor. I knew this day was my last pregnant day and my last day as a mother of 2 and I was going to enjoy every second of this day.

7:30 am – Outside riding bikes in the driveway (me drinking coffee  in one hand and waddling up and down the driveway trying to help my son ride his two wheeler with the other – again hoping an activity as such would make my water break and I wouldn’t have to be induced… no such luck.)

9:30- Take older son to swimming lessons

11:45 – Picnic lunch at the playground with friends (again, on the seesaw with my little guy trying to jostle my body into labor… nothing)

1:oopm – Put kids down for their nap

1:30 pm – Folding laundry in my bedroom and I started having super high pressure contractions. Was this it?? Was I going into labor??  If I only knew that folding laundry was all it would take….!!! I tried to play it cool, kept doing what I was doing, and yep, the contractions kept coming. Not painful, but definitely more than your average Braxton Hicks.

3:00 pm – My mom stopped by to check in. I told her about my contractions and she immediately handed me my dog on a leash and told me to walk it out. So I walked and the contractions kept coming….still super long contractions, but no real pain yet.

3:30 pm – Boys were up from naps so we headed outside to play with the neighborhood kids. Contractions continued, but I was having trouble timing them because they seemed never-ending. One would start and build, and once I thought it was over it would build again.

5:30 pm – I decided to call the doctor to see what was up with this crazy contraction pattern. The verdict: I was most likely starting to go into labor, but should wait it out at home unless my water breaks or pain gets unbearable.

6:00 pm – My mom made dinner so I sat and ate with my boys. Husband says he is on his way home from work (this is hours earlier than typical!)

8:00 pm – Husband gets home from work (yes, I usually add at least an hour to whatever time he tells me he is going to be home…. it takes him awhile to “wrap up”)

9:00 pm – Finally packed that hospital bag.

10:00 pm – In bed to attempt sleep…..

10:30 pm and on ….. up.all.night. Contractions continued and honestly, how are you expected to sleep when you know you are giving birth the next day???

Wednesday April 10th 

5:00 am – Alarm sounds out of bed, shower, finish packing bag, eat peanut butter and honey sandwich, touch of coffee, kiss my boys, parents arrive and out the door to hospital by 6:15.

6:30 am – Check in at labor and delivery.

8:30 am – Pitocin drip begings and kicks those contractions into high gear.

12:30 – Epidural

2:30 – Decide 99% on name

3:30 – Call my second “birth coach”… aka second person allowed in room besides husband, my lovely sister, and tell her she needs to hurry to hospital if she wants to be here for the little man’s entrance into the world! BTW… this is a picture of my birth coach. Quite the baby-delivering outfit, wouldn’t you say?DSC_0546

4: 21 pm – We welcomed our 3rd son into the world!


Best day ever (tied with my other two son’s birthdays).

Our little guy was greeted with love from grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and of course his two older brothers.DSC_0838



And I, on the other hand, was greeted at home with a taste of what life will be like as a mother of three boys. My oldest son looked me up and down, patted me on the belly and said, “Hey, mom. Your belly is puffing up for ANOTHER baby!”…..touché. Wish me luck.

  • Natalie
    April 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

    Congratulations!! You’re a mom of 3! Loved reading this and always love the labor & delivery stories.. so many times it is time to get induced and the contractions begin. Still a long time to be in labor and good you got the pitocin! Hope you settle in and things aren’t too crazy!! You look beautiful in all the hospital pics I saw..

  • Natalie
    April 16, 2013 at 2:38 pm

    Such a sweet story! Can’t wait to hold Ryan!!!!!

  • Jenn Breen
    April 16, 2013 at 2:41 pm

    Congrats! I was actually wondering how it all went down after I saw you Monday then saw Ryan arrived Wednesday 🙂 sounds perfect!

  • casey leigh
    April 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm

    you are the most low key no-drama pregzilla that i have ever seen…. perfectly suited to be a mother of 3 boys!

  • Lisa
    April 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

    So beautiful.

  • Hilliary Mallory
    May 8, 2013 at 8:23 am

    Well said!!! The greatest gift of all, Ryan’s blanket is on the way

don’t miss a post

powered by chloédigital