My sons fight….. a lot.
I referee all.day.long.
But seriously, BOYS = BEAR CUBS. I’m talking, on the floor WWF-style wrestling all the time. I had 4 sisters growing up and we didn’t do this. I don’t know if this is normal? But I do know, that no matter how much I try to stop it, I am wasting my time. Recently I have assumed the mindset of “the strongest will survive”…. and then end up saving my 2 year old from the 15 pound advantage his big bro has on him.
For fun (you know, so I can look back on this and laugh one day) I observed my sons for 24 hours and recorded the reasons they fought with each other. As if my nightly glass of wine needed any more justification I present to you a list….
Reasons My Kids Fight:
1. Little Brother accidentally hit the remote and changed the channel on the tv.
2. Little Brother played with Big Brother’s toy.
3. Big Brother broke Little Brother’s toy.
4. Little Brother touched Big Brother’s toothbrush.
5. Little Brother asked for water.
6. Big Brother got in the car first.
7. Little Brother smiled at Big Brother.
8. Little Brother touched Big Brother’s foot.
9. Little Brother wore Big Brother’s underwear.
10. Baby Brother spit up on Little Brother. (immediate mother intervention on this one)
11. Big Brother fell off his bike. Little Brother laughed.
12. Little Brother got out of the bathtub first.
13. Little Brother sat on the wrong side of mommy during story time.
And in their haste, they say really mean things to each other. Things that they think are bada$$ but really they have no idea what they are saying i.e. “I’m gonna dare you!!!!!!!!”…. or, “UGH!!!!!!! You are not cute!” or “You are NOT my buddy!!”
Someone once told me, “Little kids have little problems; big kids have big problems.” As much as these little problems consume my day, I know someday I’ll be wishing these types of problems would come back…