We all know parenting is a thankless job. And to make matters even more difficult, we are constantly second guessing the choices we make in regards to our children. All we can do is hope that the decisions we make don’t screw them up too badly. When something does go wrong, however, who is the first one to notice our faults? That’s right, the kid! In fact, my 4 year old likes to remind me of all my inadequecies as a parent. These are things I should really work on to be a better mom, because apparently recently I’ve been slacking…
10. I didn’t make the right dinner. “This dinner is yuck. Why did you even think of making this yuck dinner?”
9. My placement is off. “Mom, seriously, you didn’t put my lunch box in my back pack the right way. Why do you always not do that right?”
8. I have the wrong hair style. “Take your hair out of that weird knot (it was a braid). I want it in a pony tail so I can twirl it better.”
7. I gave him the wrong kind of napkin. “Mom! When I eat peanut butter and honey you need to give me a WET napkin. Not a dry one! Don’t you know that honey is sticky and I need a wet one??”
6. I served the wrong condiment. “Don’t even think about giving me honey-mustard on my chicken. I only like plain honey. Honey-mustard drives me CRAZY!”
5. I am not liberal enough with my chocolate. “Mom. You make the baddest chocolate milk. Don’t you know I want INFINITY chocolates in my chocolate milk. I want you to make it like Daddy makes it. Daddy always gives us infinity chocolate and you stink at that. ”
4. I threw something away. “(dramatic gasp!!)…. why did you throw this paper away? That paper is from my teacher and you can’t throw any papers away until daddy sees it.”
….. thank goodness he didn’t dig a layer deeper to find his art project that I also canned….
3. I am geographically challenged. “Mom I can’t believe you invited Jimmy over here. I want to have a playdate at HIS house, not at our house. Text his mom and tell her I am going there.”
2. I gave him the wrong type of sugar. “I did not want a cookie. Don’t you know I wanted fruit snacks?”
1. I don’t try hard enough. “I am soooo tired, Mom. You really should have made me take a nap earlier today.”
I should really get my act together. I mean, really? What was I thinking?
So moms and dads, what things do you stink at?