When you become a parent you become obsessed with sleep – your own sleep and your kid’s sleep. It becomes a daily topic of conversation, a goal in life, and something you would dream about it, you know, if you could actually sleep and have a dream. So I thought I’d make a short list of things that mess with your kid’s sleep just so you can either prepare for them mentally or simply avoid them at all costs.
Here are 5 Things That Mess with Your Kid’s Sleep
5. Creaky floor boards. Put X’s on them with duct tape or do whatever you need to do. There is ALWAYS one right near the exit of every baby room. Always. It’s like a sick joke.
4. Barking dogs. Love the dog at meal time as he licks up every last crumb your kids throw on the floor, but at nap time? Worst enemies. Does the mailman really have to come at 2 o’clock every day? Can’t he do the non-napping families at that time?
3. Falling asleep in the car. Raise your hand if you’ve ever given your child candy in the car just so they WOULDN’T fall asleep on the way home and potentially RUIN nap time. You know you’ve done it. All of you. You know you have a stash in your glove compartment solely for this purpose. It’s okay, no judgment. One piece of candy will do no harm, but one spoiled nap = detrimental.
2. Ailments. Ailments including but not limited to new teeth, stuffy noses, coughing, bladder issues, head aches, sore throats, stress from scary monsters, dehydration, and boo boos.
1. Daylight Savings Time. Talk about a total screwball. If you haven’t prepared for this event by changing your child’s bedtime in 3 minute increments for the past 30 days like Polly Perfect Parent recommended, you are totally in for it. Tonight, all I can say is: good luck. Think you are getting an extra hour of sleep tonight? Ha. Ha. Ha.