If there is one dish I can say I’ve never thought about making, it would be salmon. It’s not my favorite. Plain and simple. BUT – there is always a but – my sister swears by this recipe and boasts that not only is it good, but her kids love it. Kid-friendly salmon cakes? Are you serious? Apparently so. She emailed me the recipe with this side note for you all:
All my kids eat these (I have four kids!) and they always ask for more than one cake so if your kids can eat you may want to double the recipe. I typically have one kid that complains when I put dinner in front of them, but this recipe is one that makes all of my kids happy and asking for more. I am always shocked but happy!!! And my husband who does not like salmon and always turns up his nose when he knows I am making it and is pleasantly surprised at how tasty they are!! I served these with butter beans sauted with a clove of garlic and frozen spinach… kids didn’t like that, but oh well!
Ok so now I am curious. I love crab cakes, so why not take a stab at salmon cakes? This recipe is very loosely based on the Barefoot Contessa recipe for salmon cakes. My sister followed that one in the past, but over time has made a bunch of changes into one that she likes even better.
Here are the ingredients and it is important to note to buy boneless, skinless canned salmon:
- 2 6 oz cans salmon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash of hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tsp djion mustard
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pepper diced (red, orange, yellow)
- avocado oil or olive oil
- Heat oil in saute pan and add celery, onion, pepper, worcestershire, old bay, hot sauce, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper.
- Saute on med-low until veggies are tender about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to let cool.
- In a large bowl add eggs, mayo, mustard, breadcrumbs, drained cans of salmon, and veggie mixture. Mix well and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Form into patties (about 9 patties).
- Melt 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp oil in saute pan and add salmon cakes.
- Cook each side about 3-4 minutes until browned (be careful flipping as they can fall apart but still taste delicious anyway!)
- Put a sheet pan in warmed oven (250 degrees) and place salmon cakes in there when done while you continuing cooking the rest.
- Add more butter and oil each time you add more cakes.
If you try this recipe, please let us know what you think!
Here is what else we are cooking up this week:
One Pot Kielbasa Pasta – Made this last night and added fresh spinach when it was almost done cooking… very good! Having leftovers tonight… it makes a lot.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken – this was pinned a bajillion times so it must be a winner. If nothing else, it’s basic and easy.
Mongolian Beef (PF Chang’s Copycat recipe) – Need I say more?
Garlic Parmesan Roasted Shrimp – Going all out with the seafood this week.
In other news…..
1. I just got back from an amazing trip to Florida with the boys (my husband had to work, but before you feel too bad for him, he was working in Switzerland). So yes, that means I flew alone with them was the recipient of about 87 million “wow you have your hands full” comments by passengers who were all secretly wishing that we weren’t seated next to them. Shockingly, the boys were pretty good. And no one had to go #2 on the plane so I am going to call that a win. You can read my advice on flying with kids here. Basically, be prepared with all of this junk, invest in an iPad (oh, and this cover is amazing for kids), and have someone waiting at the other end with a cold one (thanks mom!).
2. I came home and chopped off all my hair. I now have some version of a lob. You can check it out here and make sure you are following along on instagram because Facebook is an a-hole these days and doesn’t show new posts unless people/businesses with pages shell out some $$. Boo.
3. There are some seriously good sales going on right now.
– 40% off at Gap with code SAVE (ends tonight, I think)
– 25% off select items at J.Crew with code SALELOVE
– up to 50% off everything at J.Crew Factory
– 20% off ASOS with code GRAND
– for the pregnant mamas 20% off sitewide at A Pea in the Pod! Use code 3DAYWEB. Valid 3/16-3/18.
Fun spring trends post is on the horizon, friends. Stay tuned!