Sometimes, as moms (and wives), we need to get a little sneaky. Two of my three kids love vegetables, the other one, is “allergic” to all fruits and vegetables. You know, the gag reflex inducing kind of allergy that makes everything taste really, really bad. So yes, sometimes we have to sneak veggies into their meals. Last week I challenged myself to see how many vegetables could I successfully hide inside a turkey burger that my kids would still eat. These veggie loaded turkey burgers are stuffed with spinach, carrots, mushrooms, and onion AND the recipe is already doubled for you, so you can take the additional 6 patties and freeze them for another week. Like I said, sneaky be-otch right here;)
We start with all of these fresh vegetables (you could probably use frozen spinach, but I prefer fresh). And as time saver, I bought pre-shredded carrots.
Chop everything up minus the spinach, because it will wilt, you are fine to leave as is.
Next, sauté the carrots, onion and mushroom until everything is softened (onion translucent) then add the spinach and garlic and continue to toss until the spinach has wilted (about 1-2 minutes).
And yes, all of these veggies are going into your burgers! Starting to feel better about yourself and your super mom capabilities?
I thought so 😉
Once the veggies have cooled to the touch, it’s time to add the binding ingredients (ground turkey meat, panko bread crumbs, cheese, and egg) and some spices (salt, pepper, oregano) for a little extra flavor.
Form the mixture into patties. This recipe will make about 10-12, so you can easily freeze the extras for another time.
Warm some olive oil on the stove top and sauté the burgers over medium-high heat until cooked through (several minutes per side depending on burger thickness).
Tip: once both sides are browned, I reduced heat to medium and cover for a few minutes to make sure the burgers are cooked through.
Melt some cheddar on top, serve with a side salad and revel in your veggie-hiding awesomeness.
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 generous cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (baby bella)
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 lbs dark meat ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (more or less depending on how much of this spice you like)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- sliced cheddar cheese
- burger buns (I use whole wheat potato rolls)
- Heat olive oil in pan and sauté onion, carrot, mushroom for 5 minutes over medium/high heat until softened.
- Add garlic and spinach and toss until spinach is wilted (about 1-2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow vegetables to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add turkey meat, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs, spices, and vegetable mixture and throughly integrate all ingredients.
- Form into patties (makes about 10-12)
- Heat olive oil in sauté pan and cook burgers for several minutes on each side until cooked through.
- During the last minute, add a slice of cheddar to each burger (if desired) and serve on a bun.
Try it, pin it, do what you need to do. Let me know what you think. Or more importantly, what your kids think!